Monday, July 14, 2014

Of Neptune by Anna Banks

Series: The Syrena Legacy #3
Publication Date: May 1st 2014
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Mermaids
Amazon ~ Goodreads ~ B&N

Synopsis: Emma and Galen’s kingdom and their love is threatened by long-lost Syrena in the brilliant conclusion to Anna Banks bestselling trilogy.

Emma, half human and half Syrena, and her Syrena love, Galen, need time together alone. Away from the kingdoms of Poseidon and Triton. Emma’s grandfather, the Poseidon king, suggests the two visit a small town called Neptune.

Neptune is home to both Syrena and Half-Breeds alike. But Emma and Galen didn’t sign up to be peacemakers between the ocean and the land-dwelling, freshwater Syrena. They didn’t bargain for meeting a charming Half-Breed named Reed, who can barely disguise his feelings for Emma. And they especially didn’t expect to find themselves in the middle of a power struggle that threatens not only their love but their ocean kingdoms.

In this stunning conclusion to her bestselling Syrena Legacy, Anna Banks thrills fans with more action and romance than ever.

My Rating: 3/5 stars

My Review: Of Neptune is the final book in the Syrena Legacy series. I fell in love with the first two books in the series right from the start, but I found it extremely hard for me to get into this book. Don't get me wrong, the writing and world-building is still as amazing as ever thanks to Anna Banks, but some of the actions that the characters did, just put me off, and this turned out to be a book I almost DNF. 

We start the story with Emma and Galen beginning their road-trip, but when they make their way to a town called Neptune, they are both shocked to find a town full of Humans, Syrena, and Half-breeds just like Emma, living together. Emma and Galen share different views with what to do with their new discovery, and they split of right into the hands of danger. 

Surprisingly, this has been the first series I have ever read where I like the supporting characters better than the main characters. Throughout the whole series, I have been a bigger fan of Rayna and Toraf rather than enjoying the main romance between Emma and Galen, even now when Rayna and Toraf weren't in this book as much, I found myself enjoying Reed's character way more than the other ones. 

There's nothing I hate more than stories where the characters fall in love in the first book, and then by the second and third books they just end up fighting and then making up in the end. While I understand that this is 'fairly' realistic to some couples in real life, there are a lot of books written this way (Like New Moon and the Divergent series,) which makes this way over done and kind of boring to read about.
While it was nice that Emma finally got her shot at a love-triangle, I feel like it's way too late in the series to put her into one. Not bashing the author, just my personal feelings.

Even tough I was really impressed with the amount of world-building in this story and the awesome new characters that were introduced, the relationship between Emma and Galen definitely turned me off. I really wish I could have ended this series on a good note and enjoyed this book a lot more.

2 comments:

  1. Oh bummer. I still need to read this one but it feels like forever since I last read it. Plus other mermaid stories interfere with my memory. Like right now, as I try to recall what was happening I'm getting Anne Greenwood Brown's story in my head instead! Hoping that it will clear once I read this one, eventually!

    Glad to hear that you still were able to carry on with this one and that it ranked a 3 at least. Hoping to enjoy it all the same myself. Very nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica, you should still give this one a try, hopefully you like it way more than I did, and your memory comes back :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...