Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Review: Kiss of the Royal by Lindsey Duga

Publication Date: July 3rd, 2018
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Genera: YA, Fantasy, Romance
Amazon ~ Goodreads ~ TBD

Synopsis: In the war against the Forces of Darkness, the Royals are losing. Princess Ivy is determined to end this centuries-long conflict once and for all, so her new battle partner must succeed where the others failed. Prince Zach’s unparalleled skill with a sword, enhanced by Ivy’s magic Kiss, should make them an unstoppable pair—but try convincing Zach of that.

Prince Zach has spent his life preparing for battle, but he would rather be branded a heretic than use his lips as nothing more than a way to transfer magic. A kiss is a symbol of love, and love is the most powerful weapon they have—but try convincing Ivy of that.

With the fate of their world on the line, the battlefield has become a testing ground, and only one of them can be right. Falling for each other wasn’t part of the plan—but try convincing their hearts of that.

My Rating
4/5 stars

My Review

Kiss of the Royal did not turn out at all like I expected it too. I ended up loving the book and everything about it at the end. I am so glad I picked this one up.

After the death of her last partner, Princess Ivy needs a new one. Her Kiss is the only one that is strong enough to win the war against the Evil Queen once and for all. But the only way is to pair up with Prince Zach, a prince who would rather fight on his own, than be Kissed by Ivy in order to increase his powers and make him strong enough to win the war.

When I first started this book, I wasn't at all into it. I almost gave up reading around 10% in because I wasn't a huge fan of the whole "kiss" gives power idea, and I also thought that Ivy wasn't a well rounded character, but I decided to read a little bit more and I am so glad I did, because by the end I absolutely loved the book. 

At first, I thought that Ivy was a little bit over confident and arrogant. She didn't seem like a character I would like at all, but after a few chapters you find out why she acts the way she acts, and we go deeper into her character and I actually started liking her. Throughout the story, she has a huge character development, and she truly turns into an amazing character that I just couldn't get enough of. She was finally being herself and while she was still the strong and confident woman, she wasn't as cocky and arrogant anymore. Ivy is just a great character overall.

I had a little bit of an issue with the story at first as well. The royals don't believe in love, their sole purpose is to fight in the war, the girls using kisses to give strength to the boys so they can go out and kill the monsters. And when they reach an older age or can't find another parter, their only purpose is to produce more heirs to keep the bloodline going. Clearly, I'm not a huge fan of that type of story, but eventually Ivy and Zach go off on an adventure and Ivy ends up learning a lot from Zach and does change her view point. So even though the story seems bad and sexist at first, it really takes on a new direction once Ivy and Zach go on their quest. So if you're like me and this is the reason why you stopped reading, then I'd recommend you keep reading a little bit more until you hit the part I'm talking about, because the book does get tremendously better.

I think Lindsey Duga did an amazing job with the plot and the world building of the story. The world that she created was very creative and entertaining, but it also felt very realistic. There were many different settings that the characters got to explore and I absolutely loved exploring them as well, the descriptions were perfect. The pace of the story was also great, there was enough action to keep the story interesting, but not too much where it got boring. This story had the perfect balance of everything, so overall the writing was amazing.

I definitely recommend this book to all the YA and Fantasy fans. If you don't like the beginning, please keep reading because this book does get a lot better. I definitely can't wait to see what Lindsey Duga comes up with next.

Happy Reading,
Aneta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...