Wednesday, June 18, 2014

City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare

Series: The Mortal Instruments #6
Publication Date: May 27th 2014
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Paranormal
Amazon ~ Goodreads ~ B&N

Synopsis: In this dazzling and long-awaited conclusion to the acclaimed Mortal Instruments series, Clary and her friends fight the greatest evil they have ever faced: Clary's own brother.

Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, systematically turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Bearing the Infernal Cup, he transforms Shadowhunters into creatures out of nightmare, tearing apart families and lovers as the ranks of his Endarkened army swell.

The embattled Shadowhunters withdraw to Idris - but not even the famed demon towers of Alicante can keep Sebastian at bay. And with the Nephilim trapped in Idris, who will guard the world against demons?

When one of the greatest betrayals the Nephilim have ever known is revealed, Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Simon, and Alec must flee - even if their journey takes them deep into the demon realms, where no Shadowhunter has set foot before, and from which no human being has ever returned...

Love will be sacrificed and lives lost in the terrible battle for the fate of the word in the thrilling final installment of the classic urban fantasy series The Mortal Instruments!

My Rating: 5/5 stars

My Review: 
“Temper us in fire, and we grow stronger. When we suffer, we survive.” 

I have been waiting for this book for the longest time! Now that I've read it.. I wish the wait was longer because I don't want this series to be over yet :(

The story continues as Sebastian takes revenge on the Shadowhunters by turning them into Endarkened and having brother fight against brother. With the fear of becoming one of the Endarkened, the Clave summons all Shadowhunters to Idris, leaving the world unprotected from demons. As Sebastain's army rises, the Shadowhunters have to decide whether they need to protect themselves, or fight.

I am so happy with the way this book turned out. It felt so good to have Jace and Clary be together again, especially since in the last book Jace wasn't himself. But don't get too happy! This book had so many twists and blindsides, it definitely kept me guessing whats going to happen next throughout the whole book. Never a dull moment. 

In this book, there are a lot of Emma Carstairs moments. At first I was really surprised that she was even in it, but really happy. Until I realized that she's actually in the book a lot! Don't get me wrong, I already love Emma, and I know I'm going to love the Dark Artifices, but I was still reading the Mortal Instruments, and I wanted to focus on Jace and Clary rather than Emma. It was just a little too much.

On the other hand, there was at least one reference to the Infernal Devices at least once per chapter throughout part one of the book. AND I LOVED IT. Every time they mentioned one of the characters from that series, I couldn't help but scream and fangirl a little. I feel like if you haven't read the Infernal Devices before, you'd probably find these incredibly pointless, and a little too spoilerish. It could ruin the other series for you. So I would definitely recommend reading the Infernal Devices before reading City of Heavenly Fire.

Alright, I don't want to write too much in my review, because this book was so amazing, and I don't want to ruin a single moment of it for you. But overall, this book was the perfect (second) ending to the series. The events played out beautifully, and Cassandra Clare's writing just keeps getting better and better. I highly recommend this book and this series to everyone I know.

Thanks for reading,
-Aneta

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved this book! I thought it was beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im so glad you liked it as much as I did :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...