Thursday, February 19, 2015

Water So Deep by Nichole Giles

Series: Unknown... but I hope so! 
Publication Date: February 2nd, 2015
Publisher: Jelly Bean Publishing 
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Romance
Amazon ~ Goodreads ~ B&N

Synopsis: Seventeen-year-old Emma Harris is drowning on dry land.

No one knows what’s happening to her, and she’d like to keep her evolution from human to mermaid a secret, but the truth is getting harder and harder to hide. From her adoptive family, from her friends, and especially from the irresistible James Phelps.

Her time in the ocean is spent dodging a possessive merman, while her time on land is split between caring for her special-needs brother and squeezing in every last possible moment of human life. She soon realizes falling for James is unavoidable when he constantly comes to Emma’s rescue and somehow manages to see through her carefully constructed icy facade to the vulnerability she lives with every day. Everything about James makes Emma yearn for a life on land she just can't have.

When Emma’s brother disappears on her watch, James is the only person she trusts to help her save him. But even if they can save her brother, nothing can prevent her return to the sea. Whether she likes it or not, Emma is changing—unable to breathe without yielding to the tide—and it's only a matter of time before she's forced to surrender forever.
 

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Review: “Love. We’re bound by love. I love him.” 

Water So Deep is a captivating tale about a young girl slowly turning into a mermaid and falling in love.
Emma is a mermaid, but was sent away to live on land as a baby. As she's aging, she finds the need to go into the water more often. 

This book starts off strong, as Emma is abused by her current boyfriend Tom on her prom night. Being broken by Tom, Emma has a hard time dealing with new people, until James Phelps comes to town and sweeps her off her feet. As Emma struggles to stay on land, her problems only grow deeper as she takes care of her special-needs brother, and does everything she can not to break James' heart. 

I honestly fell in love with the book right from chapter one. This book gives you action and plot right from the first chapter, keeping you interested and wanting more. 

The characters in this book caught me by surprise. I wasn't expecting to like Emma as much as I did, but I can definitely say that she was an incredible character and I couldn't get enough of her. Going through and event like that in her life, I feel like I would have acted the same exact way. She was hurt, and she learned from her pain and became extremely cautious around guys which is exactly what any real person would do in a situation like that. Overall, her character was intelligent and realistic and I loved reading from her point of view.

We also get to read the book from James' point of view. While I really liked him in the beginning, there was an incident about 22% through the book that caused me to dislike him a little. 
Don't get me wrong, I still really admire him for his love for Emma and how hardworking and kind he is, but lets just say he's not my type. 

Personally, I am not a huge fan of books where there are main characters with special-needs. While I'm not trying to discriminate against special-needs people here, I just personally found many books to focus in extreme detail about them and their problems in life, which I understand, but I'm usually not a big fan of reading about.
But I can honestly say that this book does not do that at all. As soon as I found out about Emma's brother I was like "Oh no, here we go again." Yet to my surprise, the author never talked about his problems or his past extensively. The author treated him just like any other character, the same way she treated Emma and James. I highly applaud Nichole for this because this is the first book where a chapter being special-needs is considered normal. 

Nichole Giles' writing impressed me so much. No does she create a fantastic world filled with amazing detail, but she also creates a killer plot with action from beginning to end. I can honestly say that everything about her writing is brilliant.

Overall, I highly recommend this book to all fans of Romance and Fantasy. I loved everything about this book (except for little things about James), and I can't wait to read the rest of the series if the author decides to continue writing Emma's story.

Happy Reading,
Aneta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...