Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Review: Zombie Abbey by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

Publication Date: April 2018
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Genre: YA, Horror, Historical Fiction
Amazon ~ Goodreads ~ TBD

Synopsis: 1920, England

And the three teenage Clarke sisters thought what they’d wear to dinner was their biggest problem…

Lady Kate, the entitled eldest.
Lady Grace, lost in the middle and wishing she were braver.
Lady Lizzy, so endlessly sunny, it’s easy to underestimate her.

Then there’s Will Harvey, the proud, to-die-for—and possibly die with!—stable boy; Daniel Murray, the resourceful second footman with a secret; Raymond Allen, the unfortunate-looking young duke; and Fanny Rogers, the unsinkable kitchen maid.

Upstairs! Downstairs! Toss in some farmers and villagers!

None of them ever expected to work together for any reason.

But none of them had ever seen anything like this.

My Rating
4/5 stars

My Review
Zombie Abbey is a short and hilarious read, perfect for fans of zombies and 1920's England.

When Will Harvey's aunt shoots her husband, no one believes her when she tells people that he was most definitely dead, before rising back to life and trying to kill her. When the zombies reach the Clarke estate, everyone must set aside their differences and work together, or they just might end up dead.

After reading the synopsis of this book I knew that I had to read it. I love the time period that this is set in, and who doesn't love a good zombie story. Although this book is placed in the horror genera, I didn't really think it was that scary. I actually found it to be more funny than scary.

This book is told in the perspectives of many people at the Clarke estate, including the sisters, Will Harvey and the maid. While there was lots of characters I loved, like the youngest sister Lizzy, there was also a lot of characters that I didn't particularly care about. So when I was reading from the point of view from the characters I liked I really enjoyed the story, but when I was reading in the point of view of the characters I didn't care about, the story sometimes seemed to just drag on. I really would have enjoyed the story if it was told in one or two points of view rather than this many.

The plot of the story was good. This book definitely has a slow start, but eventually picks up around half way into the book. But once the action started the book definitely got a lot better and I found myself wanting to continue reading.

While I really enjoyed the story, I wasn't a huge fan of the ending. I think there were a little too many open ended questions about the characters and what happens next to the characters, for me to enjoy the ending. It almost seems like there should be a sequel to this novel, but I don't think there is one.

Overall, I enjoyed most of the characters and the action in this story made me want to keep reading, and not put the book down. I definitely recommend this book if you love Zombies or Jane Austen novels, although if you want action from beginning to end or a sold ending, this might not be the book for you.

Happy Reading,
Aneta 

1 comment:

  1. If only I was a fan of zombies... otherwise this sounds really cute and fun. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!

    All the best,
    ~Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...