Monday, November 21, 2016

Review: Cipher by Aileen Erin

Series: The Shadow Ravens #1
Publication Date: October 31st 2014
Publisher: Ink Monster, LLC
Genre: YA, Dystopia 
Amazon ~ Goodreads ~ B&N

Synopsis: Alone and on the run, Cipher doesn't talk about her secrets, her powers, or the people chasing her. She can’t let anyone get that close. At least, she shouldn’t.

Knight is working undercover for the bad guys. He’s done things that have marked his soul, but it’ll all be worth it if he can save the girl who means everything to him—the girl who saved his life by putting herself in danger. It’s been twelve years, but Knight knows she’s still alive, and he’s made it his mission to find her and keep her safe.

When Knight finally catches up to Cipher, electricity sparks. He’s crazy gorgeous, stupid brilliant, and begging to lift the burden from Cipher’s shoulders. Can she really trust him with her secrets? With her life?

She doesn’t have long to decide, because Knight isn’t the only who’s been looking for her. Now Cipher can’t run without leaving him behind. What good is being together if they’re both dead?

To save Knight, Cipher will finally stop running…one way or another.

My Rating
4/5 stars

My Review
"Having someone to lose also meant that I had something to fight for. For him. And us." 

Fantastic Dystopian world, filled with loveable characters! I couldn't get enough of Cipher, absolutely stunning.

Cipher has been on the run ever since she was 8 years old. She's a Red, a she was supposed to die after being born. With special powers of being able to conduct electricity, Cipher is seen as a threat to society, and is hunted by her uncle, who wants nothing more than to see her dead.
Knight is desperate to find Cipher. The little girl who once saved his life is in danger, and all he wants to do is be able to repay that favour from when they were 8, when both their lives changed forever. Joining forces with the Shadow Raves, Knight works as double agent to get close to Cipher's location. He wasn't counting on falling in love with his childhood friend, could they have a chance at love? If they manage to both get out alive?

I am so in love with the world created by Aileen Erin, Lola Dodge, and Christina Bauer. It has a hint of the typical dystopian society, yet it takes on a brand new twist. Similar to The Giver and Divergent combined.

I absolutely love Cipher, she is a wonderful main character. She's smart, independent and caring. She has almost everything I look for in a good main character. All she wants to do is blend in, stay safe and have a chance at having a normal life. I respect and agree with all the decisions she made in this book, there wasn't a thing about her character that disappointed me.

The one problem I had with his book, is the romance. While I am so happy that this book does not have insta love, (since the characters knew each other when they were little and obviously didn't fall head over heels in love with each other then,) I wasn't a big fan of how Knight was acting towards Cipher. In the real world, if I just met a guy and within a day he was already acting like my boyfriend and being super controlling and protective of me, I would probably tell him to piss off. Knight definitely comes on super strong, almost in a way that seemed kinda creepy. The only way I would ever stick around with a guy like that is if he was supermodel hot, or maybe I was Cipher and could actually use someone's help. Near the end of the book, I finally got used to Knight's character and actually thought they would be pretty cute together. Given that he's not my type of guy, I still ship him and Cipher!

Overall, I highly recommend this book. Absolutely perfect for all dystopian and action lovers! It has a great world, great characters, and tons of potential for the rest of the series. I can't wait to read the next one.

Happy Reading,
- Aneta 

1 comment:

  1. Ooo..This sounds like a really interesting story! I love Cipher's name :) And I see what you mean about controlling male characters. Been across that a lot recently and not a fan of it! I'd like to see the female protagonists give such guys a piece of mind every now and then in such cases :P Great review !

    Uma@Books.Bags.Burgers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...