Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Review: A Magic Dark and Bright by Jenny Adams Perinovic

Series: The Asylum Saga #1
Publication Date: April 28th 2015
Publisher: Bookish Girl Press
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Paranormal 
Amazon ~ Goodreads ~ B&N

Synopsis: She meant to help a ghost...not unleash a curse.

Amelia Dupree hasn’t seen the Woman in White since the night her brother died. 

The ghost seems to have disappeared from the woods surrounding Asylum, Pennsylvania—that is, until Charlie Blue moves into the creepy old MacAllister House next door. Amelia can’t help liking him, even though she spent her childhood thinking his grandmother was a witch. And she definitely can’t ignore the connection between his arrival and the Woman in White’s return. 

Then Amelia learns that the Woman in White is a prisoner, trapped between the worlds of the living and the dead. Devastated by the idea that her brother could be suffering a similar fate, Amelia decides to do whatever it takes to help the Woman in White find peace--and Charlie agrees to help her.

But when Amelia’s classmates start to drown in the Susquehanna River, one right after another, rumors swirl as people begin to connect the timing of Charlie’s arrival with the unexplained deaths. As Charlie and Amelia uncover the dark history of Asylum, they realize they may have unleashed an unspeakable evil. One they have to stop before everything they love is destroyed.

My Rating
3/5 stars

My Review
“I am a weapon, forged by fire, shaped by darkness, and destined for one purpose: Revenge” 


A perfect combination of mystery and magic.


A Magic Dark and Bright is set in a small town of Asylum with a rich history. The town really reminded me of Mystic Falls from Vampire Diaries, its small and everyone knows everyone, but it has its secrets and mysteries. 


This book has a very slow start, it doesn't start picking up till about 60% in. We spend a lot of time getting to know the details about Amelia's life, her past and the MacAllisters. 


Amelia is an alright main character. She's very nice and sweet but at times I found her annoying, boring and unintelligent. The only thing that really impressed me about Amelia is her friendship with Leah, it really reminds me of me and my best friend, its very realistic.


My absolute favourite part was reading about Marin. She's the Woman in White who has been following Amelia around, and now she's haunting Amelia's dreams. 


If it wasn't for this part of the story, I don't know if I would have finished the book. I just didn't find it interesting enough.


I still recommend it to people who are big fans of mystery and don't mind a slow beginning. I will be continuing the series just to read more about Marin.


Happy Reading,
Aneta

2 comments:

  1. Hey Aneta :) Recently stumbled across your blog via Twitter! The story sounds intriguing but am not sure how much patience I'd have over a slow start. I think the cover is really pretty though! The font is also beautiful...Might pick up the book if I feel like it! Nice review...

    Uma@Books.Bags.Burgers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Uma!
      I checked out your blog too and followed you :)
      Hope to see you around the blogosphere <3

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...