Sunday, August 3, 2014

Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard

Series: Something Strange and Deadly #1
Publication Date: July 24th 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Zombies
Amazon ~ Goodreads ~ B&N

Synopsis: There's something strange and deadly loose in Philadelphia...

Eleanor Fitt has a lot to worry about. Her brother has gone missing, her family as fallen on hard times, and her mother is determined to marry her off to any rich young man who walkers by. But this is nothing compared to what she's just read in the newspaper—

The Dead are rising in Philadelphia.

And then, in a frightening attack, a zombie delivers a letter to Eleanor... from her brother.

Whoever is controlling the Dead army has taken her brother as well. If Eleanor is going to find him, she'll have to venture into the lab of the notorious Spirit-Hunters, who protect the city from supernatural forces. But as Eleanor spends more time with the Spirit-Hunters, including the maddeningly stubborn yet handsome Daniel, the situation becomes dire. An now, not only is her reputation on the line, but her very life may hang in the balance.

My Rating: 5/5 stars

My Review: 

“The fault is not in our stars," I whispered to the ceiling. "But in ourselves. This was my choice.” 

Something Strange and Deadly is the perfect romantic mystery that keeps you on your toes throughout the whole ride. With lovable characters and picturesque world-building, this book is pure perfection.

The Dead are coming back to life, and when one of them brings Eleanor a letter from her brother, she knows that he's in trouble and she has to come to his rescue. But when her mom releases an evil spirit that's coming after her, she has to find help from the mysterious Spirit-Hunters.

Eleanor is such a strong character, I honestly love reading books where the main character knows not only how to be a bad-ass and stand up for herself, but also use her 'womenly' charms to get what she wants. Eleanor is smart, funny and brave. She's every girl's role model.

The world-building in this story is down right perfection. The author gives us enough detail to know how everything looks, but not so much detail that it makes the book boring. It has the perfect balance and I couldn't be any more impressed. 

The plot, the characters, the world-building and the writing are all just perfect. There's tons of action where you can't put the book down, and I wouldn't have changed a thing in this book. I highly recommend this to everyone, especially fans of the Infernal Devices, and the Walking Dead.

Happy Reading,
-Aneta

6 comments:

  1. I read this book last summer & absolutely LOVED it! It blew me away and quickly became one of my favorite books. I can't wait to finish the series :) I'm glad you enjoyed it as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by. And I hope you get to finish the series soon!!

      Delete
  2. OOh nice! I plan on reading this one soon! Didn't know what to think of it when it first released, but all the love I keep seeing about it is making me give it a second look! So I plan on putting into the reading queue next week! Can't wait! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! You definitely have to read this one :)

      Delete
  3. This actually sounds really good! I've been seeing the third book around the blogosphere, and I just kept wondering "wth is this book even about?" I didn't want to spoil myself with reading a review of the third book, so I'm really glad I know it's ABOUT ZOMBIES now :D AND ROMANCE. Like that's just an awesome combination! Definitely going to look into this more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you decided to look into it more. And yeah with the release of the third book I decided its time to read this one and I'm so glad I did, you definitely need to give it a try.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...