Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Review: The Broken Ones by Danielle L. Jensen

Series: The Malediction Trilogy #0.6
Publication Date: June 6th 2017
Publisher: Angry Robot
Genre: YA, Fantasy 
Amazon ~ Goodreads ~ TBD

Synopsis: A prequel to the USA Today bestseller and Goodreads Choice finalist Stolen Songbird (The Malediction Trilogy).

Below Forsaken Mountain, a plot is being hatched to overthrow the tyrant king of Trollus, and Marc is the right-hand man of its leader. His involvement is information more than one troll would kill to possess, which is why he must keep it a secret from everyone, even the girl he loves.

After accidentally ruining her sister’s chance to become queen, Pénélope is given one last opportunity by her father, the Duke d’Angoulême, to make herself useful: she must find proof that the boy she’s in love with is conspiring against the crown. If she fails, her life will be forfeit.

Marc and Pénélope must navigate the complex politics of Trollus, where powers on all sides are intent on using them as pawns, forcing them to risk everything for a chance at a life together.

Except being together may turn out to be the greatest risk of all.

My Rating
4/5 stars

My Review
The Broken Ones was a beautiful and captivating prequel. I completely forgot how good this series is until now. I can't wait to finish reading the whole trilogy.

This prequel takes place two years before the first book, Stolen Songbird. It is the story of Marc and Penelope, their love, and how their actions truly affected the world that we see in the trilogy. I never realized how important of a role they had in the world before Cecile came, it really made me appreciate the characters a lot more.

So I didn't do my research before I started this book, it was only after that I saw the author recommends you read the first two books of the trilogy before starting this one (I've only read the first, so far). It wasn't too confusing for me, since I've read book one and knew the world. There were a few things I was a tad confused about, but I figured it out in the end. The other mistake I made was not reviewing what happened in Stolen Songbird, since I've read it 3 years ago (I think), I've forgotten some of the things that happen and just who some of the characters were, it took me a while to remember who everyone was.

I absolutely loved Penelope and reading from her point of view. She was such a kind soul. I never realized how much I needed this story until I read it. Her story is beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time.

The world building in this book was fantastic as always. Danielle does a great job creating a setting and explains the world she created, she definitely doesn't let you down in the prequel. I was mesmerized at some of the settings, it was as if I could step into them myself. But I think the best part of the world, was seeing what it was like before Cecile arrived and being able to kind of compare and contrast.

Overall, I would definitely recommend reading the prequel if you loved the trilogy. If you're like me and still haven't read book two, or if you haven't started the series all together, make sure you read book 1 and 2 before you read this prequel. 

Happy Reading,
Aneta 

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you enjoyed this book. It sounds intriguing and the cover looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...